High-speed capacity to university networks
TELE Greenland A/S of Greenland, E-Farice hf of Iceland and Eastlink Inc. of Newfoundland, Canada have provided Nordunet and Canarie with network capacity to interconnect their networks. The capacity has been provided across the Atlantic in cooperation between the three carriers utilizing their optical submarine cables and terrestrial networks.
The high speed interconnection of multiple Gigabits per second will support education and research cooperation between universities and institutions in Scandinavia, Iceland, Canada and the USA. At a later stage it is expected that the university in Nuuk, Greenland will join the network.
The solution was selected because it provides state of the art technology at a competitive price with minimal ecological and climatic impact.
"A major consideration for Nordunet when selecting the route to North America was the requirement to minimize the CO2 footprint and select the greenest route available. The combination of TELE Greenland’s "Greenland Connect, E-Farice’s "DANICE" and "FARICE-1" as well as Eastlink’s terrestrial network were the obvious choice as all of these cables are powered 100% by geothermal and hydroelectric energy." Rene Buch, CEO NorduNet.
”We know that we have a competitive product and are proud that we are preferred by customers for whom it is important to maintain a green profile.” Peter Moeller, Interconnect Manager, TELE Greenland A/S
About TELE Greenland A/S
TELE Greenland A/S is the sole telecommunications service provider in Greenland. It is 100% owned by the Government. The company runs the telecommunications as well as the postal services in Greenland; it employs approx. 600 people all across Greenland. Annual turnover in 2008 was € 98,5 million with an EBIT result of € 15,5 million.
TELE Greenland A/S offers the same basic services at the same price level as comparable countries in Europe; this includes fixed network telephony, GSM, UMTS, broadband internet and business VPN. The company also runs a number of services as part of its public obligations. Among these are radio & TV broadcasting, air control radio, maritime radio and navigation systems.
About E-Farice ehf.
Einarhaldsfelagid Farice ehf, registered in Iceland, owns the DANICE submarine cable between Iceland and Denmark and 80% of the FARICE submarine cable between Iceland, the Faroes and Scotland. The remaining 20% of the FARICE system are primarily owned by Faroese parties. The two submarine cables provide most of the international connectivity needed for Iceland and The Faroe Islands. In addition to providing international connectivity for commercial traffic, E-Farice provides connectivity to the growing Data Center Industry in Iceland; which is using the country’s renewable, low-priced energy sources.
About Eastlink Inc.
Eastlink has been named one of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies for the past three years and it’s parent company, the Bragg Group, was named Canada’s Family Enterprise of the year for 2009. Eastlink has an extensive fiber optic network reaching from coast to coast in Canada. With over thirty years of experience in the telecommunications industry, Eastlink has developed a state of the art network architecture that is capable of delivering fast reliable service over diverse routes to multiple destinations. Eastlink has a strong point of presence in most Canadian cities including St. John’s, Halifax, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver. With Network to Network Interconnect agreements negotiated with major Carriers to ensure the fastest and most reliable routing of traffic to Canadian, US and International destinations, service reliability is guaranteed.